Saturday 27 October 2012

#NHBPM 17th November

'
Strength's & Weaknesses'

Strengths
Laughing at my disease. On the whole, I think I handle my illness pretty well, I try to use humour against Crohn's, by making light of the funnier moments. I find this also helps to ease any awkwardness in explaining the illness to others.

Openness. I openly talk about Crohn's and try to help people understand it's not all I am. It's only one (albeit diseased) part of me, that doesn't own me.

Determination. I've accepted I have an incurable disease, quite a long time ago. I've also decided, although it's a huge part of my life, I won't let it consume me. I don't want, and won't let my illness stop me doing the things I love and getting what I want out of life.

Weaknesses
Apologising for my illness. I often feel the need to say 'sorry' for being ill or having to cancel/rearrange plans due to Crohn's. It's a difficult habit to break but I'm getting there..

Saying "Im fine" when I'm not. It's become my go-to response when I either don't want to focus on my illness or don't want to worry people. However I'm starting to realise it only makes the people who love me worry even more.

Accepting help. Like saying 'I'm fine', I need to learn to allow people to try and help me when I'm at my worst, rather than just assuming there's nothing they can do for me. In reality, sometimes just a hug or a kind word can make the world of difference.

This post was written as part of WEGO Health #NHBPM - 30 posts in 30 days

No comments:

Post a Comment