Monday 5 November 2012

#NHBPM 21st November

'Write about Mental Health'

Although Crohn's Disrase is a condition mainly affecting the body, it's also, possibly somewhat surprisingly, a condition that can also be a major factor in the decline of a patients mental health. Depression, and similar issues are unfortunately quite common in Crohn's sufferers, and patients dealing with long term or similarly 'chronic' illnesses.
As Crohn's is incurable and the effective treatment can be incredibly difficult to pinpoint, it can be a constant battle to cope with the frustration.
Personally, I've found this aspect of being a Crohn's sufferer to be one of the biggest challenges to face. Mainly because there is no easy answer. Crohn's can be incredibly unpredictable and this unpredictability can also be very difficult to cope with.
When I was at my worst and awaiting surgery, I was in constant, excruciating pain. This in itself was almost unbearable for me, and also my friends and family to deal with.
Getting no relief from this led to very black moods and hard times. I tried to remain positive, but this, as anyone who has ever felt this way knows, is easier said than done. Talking, I've found, always helps to ease a little.
Of course sometimes, when u feel down of unhappy with my lot, I don't want to be around anyone, I just want to be alone in my sadness and wallow. But this doesn't help. It's hard and painful for me and my loved ones. My partner is wonderful in helping me open up and it's comforting to know he is there when I need him.
But I also know how hard it must be for him to live with someone who struggles with these feelings.
For me, talking helps greatly. It helps to share the burden with someone. Even if you feel alone there is always someone, somewhere who will be willing to listen. X

This post is written as part of WEGO Health #NHBPM - 30 posts in 30 days

No comments:

Post a Comment